RabbitMQ installation is pretty straightforward except that the data folder is by default located in the User folder of the user performing the uninstall. When user accounts are purged once in a while and all user data are deleted you will also loose your entire RabbitMQ configuration.
Not cool… fortunately, this is easy to configure
So, to start with, grab the latest RabbitMQ installer from http://www.rabbitmq.com/install-windows.html and follow the instructions, install Erlang VM if required.
Choose to install as a Windows Service. When installation is complete, go to services.msc and stop the service.
Now, set up some environment variables, pick a suitable name for you base directory. In my case I use MY_RABBITMQ and point it at E:\rabbitmq. Do not prefix you variable with RABBITMQ_ as it may interfere with RabbitMQ.
See http://www.rabbitmq.com/configure.html#customise-windows-environment for more info on RabbitMQ Environment variables.
Now you need to reinstall the RabbitMQ service, as the default paths were set during installation. When you reinstall the RabbitMQ service it will use you newly set environment variables.
1. Create the folder (E:\rabbitmq).
2. Run RabbitMQ Command Prompt as Administrator.
3. If you shell doesn’t point you there directly, go to the sbin folder of you installation (Default C:\Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ Server\rabbitmq_server-x.x.x\sbin on 64-bit operating systems).
4. Run “rabbitmq-service install” (without the quotes). This will also start your service.
5. Install the web management console (requires a service restart).
6. Point your browser to http://localhost:15672 and log in as guest/guest to validate your installation (see how E:\rabbitmq is populated as you go)
C:\Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ Server\rabbitmq_server-3.3.5\sbin>rabbitmq-service install
Creating base directory E:\rabbitmq\base
RabbitMQ service is already present - only updating service parameters
C:\Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ Server\rabbitmq_server-3.3.5\sbin>rabbitmq-plugins enable rabbitmq_management
The following plugins have been enabled:
Plugin configuration has changed. Restart RabbitMQ for changes to take effect.
C:\Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ Server\rabbitmq_server-3.3.5\sbin>rabbitmq-service stop
C:\Program Files\erl6.1\erts-6.1\bin\erlsrv: Service RabbitMQ stopped.
C:\Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ Server\rabbitmq_server-3.3.5\sbin>rabbitmq-service start
C:\Program Files\erl6.1\erts-6.1\bin\erlsrv: Service RabbitMQ started.
Note: If you want to make changes to the RabbitMQ configuration file, the active configuration file override is now located at E:\rabbitmq\rabbitmq.config. It is not created by default. RabbitMQ ships with an example config file you may implement your changes in.
C:\>copy "Program Files (x86)\RabbitMQ Server\rabbitmq_server-3.3.5\etc\rabbitmq.config.example" E:\rabbitmq\rabbitmq.config
1 file(s) copied.